Saturday, April 18, 2009

Welcome to the Farm

Home Sweet Home
This is the house that Todd remodeled for the piggies. It fits them perfectly and hopefully it will stay nice and cool in the summer.
My 10 year old step son Nathan is in his second year of 4H. He shows swine and this year we decided to get three. He is going to show a Hereford, York, and Spot. Last year was my first experience with pigs. Of course the animal lover I am, decided to name them. We had a Hereford that I named Gretchen and a Spot I named Grant. BIG MISTAKE! As we are hauling them to the Fairgrounds, I start to cry and it only got worse from there. Auction time came and boy was I a mess.... This year I promised myself that I would not name them and I have stuck to my word. However it is still hard, when you have pigs that act more like a dog than a pig. They love when I feed them marshmellows and when I scratch their nose, they instantly lay down. It's just bittersweet....


Here is the Hereford. As you can see she is laying in the corner and is very traumatized! See the marshmellow under her leg.....Yep! She wouldn't even eat it :( Poor Baby...







The Spot seemed to like his new home. He let us pet him instantly, however he didn't know what to think about the marshmellows I was trying to feed him;)

Here is Claire with the York. She is the "Keeper of the Piggies" When ever I go to feed them, she has to go too. She loves the pig feed. Should I just start feeding her that? I think not, unless I want her H U G E! Claire also likes to help walk them;)


No comments:

Post a Comment